Pomegranate extract is able to prevent and even reverse the progressive thickening of the arteries caused by fat accumulation has emerged from an American study published in the Atherosclerosis journal. The extract of this fruit would be able to improve blood flow in the cardiovascular system of patients with heart disease, control blood pressure and at the same time would reduce many inflammatory processes responsible for aging and cell degeneration.
Other research shows that pomegranate juice contains a powerful antioxidant, a type of flavonoid more effective in preventing heart problems than those that exist in tomatoes and red wine. Michael Aviram, who conducted the studies on pomegranate, claims to have avoided bypass surgery in many high-risk patients with the administration of high doses of the extract of this fruit.
Pomegranate increases the endogenous production of nitric oxide, improving endothelial function, and thus, it is able to perform a protective action on the entire cardiovascular system. Nitric oxide acts on vascular smooth muscles, releasing them: consequently, blood will flow with in a more orderly flow through veins and arteries.
The pomegranate can be considered a natural antibiotic: its juice lowers cholesterol, slows aging, prevents heart problems, osteoporosis and raises immune defenses.
In folk medicine traditions, pomegranate is used in various ways. Tea made from the leaves is used for washing eyes while tea made from the peel of pomegranate is used for throat infections, diarrhea and chronic dysentery.
In summary, the pomegranate:
– Reduces body fat and contributes to weight loss
– Prevents heart disease thanks to its antioxidant properties
– Reduces bad cholesterol levels
– Prevents blood clotting and reduces plaque deposits in the arteries
– Fights any type of infection thanks to the vitamin C contained in it
– Fights inflammation thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties
– Excellent for oral hygiene; prevents plaque as it has antibacterial properties
– Regenerates liver cells
– Contains phytonutrients and antioxidants, which interact with DNA and protect our bodies.